Friday, February 13, 2009

Baby Update and Pictures!

I know I haven't updated in almost a month, it's been a little hectic with orientation/training for work and then remodeling the house.

We are almost done with the master bedroom/bathroom remodel and may even be able to move back into our room this weekend! Woo Hoo! Next up we will be moving a couple rooms around to clear out the baby's room so we can scrape the ceiling, paint and install new flooring. Exciting & dusty times I tell you, all good for the nesting instinct, right? We'll see!

Onto the baby update...

On Monday I had a regular check-up appointment, at this point I go every 2 weeks. I actually saw a different doctor in the practice, which was a good experience. I've seen all the doctors in the office now, and they are all very nice. She asked the usual questions, reviewed my chart, asked if I had any concerns and then had me lay back to measure my belly. She felt around a little more roughly than the other doctors, but it wasn't uncomfortable. She measured from my pubic bone to the top of my uterus (fundus) and it measured 33 cm. On the day of the appointment, I was 29 weeks 3 days along, meaning the fundus should have been measured between 29 and 30cm. So what did she do? She ordered an ultrasound to check the growth of our baby! Happy Birthday to me, we get to see our baby!

The ultrasound was scheduled for today, which would make me exactly 30 weeks pregnant, with 10 weeks (or 71 days) till my due date. So at the ultrasound.... guess what? Baby measured big. The doctor said the baby is "big-ish", not huge, and is actually in the 84% for growth rate. They explained the stats and measurements could be off by 25% either way, but consistently the measurements of the belly and the head were at least 2 weeks and 5 days ahead! That's almost 3 weeks ahead! Oh, and baby's head, measured 34 weeks consistently! That's 4 weeks ahead! OUCH!!! The weight was estimated to be 4lbs, 6 oz. The tech said that babies typically grow about a half a pound per week from this point on. Let's calculate... 10 more weeks to go. 0.5lbs x 10 weeks = 5lbs. 5lbs + 4lbs 6oz = 9lbs 6oz, if the baby grows at a normal rate and we make it to the due date. I may start to rethink my au natural route that I've been planning and consider my options with an epidural.
We were able to see the baby practice breathing, which the doctor said is a sign of a very healthy, well developing baby. The baby is head down, and remains a surprise as far as the sex/gender goes. We saw all different parts of the anatomy, kidneys, stomach, heart, brain, spine, legs, knees, arms, elbows, toes and fingers. Baby has the cutest nose and lips as you can see below. Chubby cheeks just like it's momma! It almost seems more real for some reason. I saw little baby toes and on the way home I said to Tom, I can imagine holding those little baby feet and looking at those toes. Oh my, what did we get ourselves into!?! LOL! I guess it's time to actually start preparing for this baby! What if the baby decides to come a little early? Eeeeekkk!
Here are some of the pictures!
The baby is snuggled up kinda close to the placenta and umbilical cord, so that kind of gets in the way of the entire face. But I think you can still tell the baby is super cute!

What a cutie!

Baby has our button nose!

Mommy's chubby cheeks!

This one you can see the bottom lip a little better, so kissable!

3-D profile shot.

Traditional Ultrasound profile shot, see those lips!

More cuteness!

A Video!

You can see the baby move a little here. That's the umbilical cord near the top at the beginning, and then you can see the baby's neck, and even the pulse if you look closely!

Needless to say, Tom and I are both very excited that we were able to see our baby again. We can't wait to hold him or her in our own hands! We love this baby more and more every day!

2 comments:

Gina Moody said...

Awwwww, so CUTE. I never got any
3D picks while I was preggo. I got ripped off! I can't wait for little baby to come so I can kiss those chubby cheeks!!!

Anonymous said...

We love him (her?) already! Can't wait to love on those sweet cheeks!