Thursday, May 22, 2008

2007 Recap - Cruise to Alaska Juneau

End of May 2007 - My mom and dad had scheduled a cruise to Alaska. Well, the night before the cruise my mom got sick, having to visit the ER and wasn't able to go. So at 10:30 the night before the cruise is to depart, it was decided that I would accompany my dad on the cruise. There was no way they could postpone the cruise with only 14 hours til check-in starts, without loosing all their money. So we got to the airport at 5 am were able to change names on the flight vouchers, and then we hoped and prayed they'd do the same once we got to the boat. You see, no customer service is available at midnight before your cruise, so I flew to Seattle not knowing if I would be able to board the boat. (Good lesson to be learned... vacation with Travelers Insurance!) We were able to change the name on the cruise and I was granted access to the boat with my dad! My mom was stable enough to go home and we kept her updated on our trip. But we learned that she had some issues about half way through our trip and she needed to stay overnight in the hospital. So it was a good decision she didn't go on the cruise. It was a good trip and and we were able to do some exciting things!

I had to run ahead of my dad to grab this picture and he was trying to catch up to me. It cracks me up and I love his expression. We had a great time! We were heading out to the Muster Drill.


So what do you do on an 'old people' cruise when you are stuck on board cruising a whole day to get to your first stop? Well BINGO of course! And we won, on the first day. The winnings actually paid for us to play a few more times throughout the trip. Fun, fun!

We also played chess, poolside!


It was cold... all I had to wear were sweatshirts and long underwear. I'm and AZ girl and had to pack at midnight the night before our plane left for Seattle at 5:00 am the next morning. I don't have a warm jacket! We ended up buying a souvenir type jacket at the last port of call, but I never needed to use it.

This was the first formal night we had on the boat, we clean up pretty nice, huh? Other than the formal nights, I felt really under dressed in jeans and t-shirts. We tried to eat at our scheduled dinner in the dining room each night, but we probably should have dressed a little better each time. Oh well, it was a learning experience!

Juneau, AK


Here we are on top of a mountain in Juneau, Alaska! Lots of snow!


They said they got somewhere in the range of like 20 feet of snow the winter before we visited, CRAZY!!!!


See that? That's a danger sign, can you tell? Well, what do we do? Should we cross it? Dad said, I don't think we should. Shaunna says, Why not! So we did... everyone else was doing it! I laugh in the face of danger! Hahahahaha! (not really, but I thought that was funny!)

So what do you do when you've crossed the line of danger when there's tons of snow? You make a snowman! He wasn't as big as he seems in this picture, it's all trickery I tell ya. =)

I think this part was one of my dad's favorite of the trip... We took a float plane over the Glacier. While we were flying, I kept thinking to myself, when are we gonna get past all this snow and see the Glacier? Then as I started to pay attention to the recorded script we were listening to, I realize that all of this snow IS the glacier, talk about an aha! moment! Sheesh, I felt dumb. But you have to remember I was kinda thrown into this trip with absolutely no research done before hand. I'm just a dumb Arizona native who doesn't have a clue about all this cold stuff!

See the pretty blue ice there in the waves of the snow? That is the blue type of ice I was expecting to see in a glacier, guess I was wrong, but it sure is pretty!

This is where the glacier ends and hits the water. Some glaciers are receding, but some are growing, kinda interesting.

No comments: