Tuesday, May 27, 2008

2007 Recap - October

October 2007

We got a new car!! A white 2007 Honda Accord 4 door. We love it! Now Tom drives my 4 door Focus, and we try not to drive the Dodge Ram very much, due to the gas it consumes! Anyone interested in buying a pretty Dodge Ram or a Focus Hatchback?? We're looking to sell!

In October, I somehow convinced Tom to consider getting another dog, a friend for Bruno, someone to share in his crazy antics and to consume some of his energy. Tom gave me the okay to browse, so I did. I looked in the paper & online, that's where I found "Casper". "Casper" was an all white Iggy (short for Italian Greyhound) that had been seized in an animal cruelty/puppy mill case somewhere in AZ. The Arizona Italian Greyhound Rescue came to the rescue of 15 or so seized Iggies and evaluated them and put them up for adoption. I saw "Casper", and immediately fell in love. The story of these poor dogs, broke my heart and I convinced Tom to let me submit an application. After our application was reviewed, a phone interview completed and our references were checked we had a home visit scheduled. Amy, our rescue rep. visited us on Sunday and approved us to meet and potentially adopt "Casper/Ezio", pending Bruno's neuter. Luckily we were able to schedule surgery for Bruno the next day, as we wanted to speed up the entire process. Bruno was a champ for surgery, and was recovering quite nicely, you could hardly tell anything had happened.


Two days later, he broke his front left leg! My poor baby! What a horrible sound and sight to behold! We rushed him to the emergency vet, where they stabilized his leg for the night, and give us some pain meds. Needless to say none of us were able to get much sleep that night. First thing the next morning we had him into our regular vet, who won't tell you he specializes in Iggies, but he works with a lot of them and he's great! They kept him overnight to make sure he recovered from the anesthesia appropriately and then I was able to take him home. UUUGGGGHHH!!! The whole thing was an ordeal! I don't suggest it to anyone!

That's us not getting any sleep the first night after the trip to the emergency vet, but before the trip to the real vet! Poor Bruno was in soooo much pain! My poor baby!

Home from surgery, feeling pretty good, but on severe activity restriction. What does that mean? No activity off the leash, nothing more than a slow walk, and not much of that either. BORING!

Yeah, Bruno hated the leash, hated the restriction, we had to find other ways to expend his energy, somehow!


So what happens when you absolutely hate the kennel you are in, and absolutely must get out??? You break out, that's what you do!! When I left that morning, that kennel was in the other room, and that dog in the background, broken leg in a cast and all, was inside the kennel! I have no idea how he bent the kennel up so much that he was able to get out, cast and all, but he did. Stubborn, I tell ya! He takes after his momma!
So what happened to "Casper/Ezio"? Well the night Bruno was at the vet for surgery we were supposed to meet "Casper/Ezio" with Bruno, to see how they got along. Didn't happen. Tom and I rescheduled to the weekend and we went to meet "Casper/Ezio" on our own. We had to delay the adoption about a month, until Bruno was able to get his cast off and the vet okayed more activity.
Bruno's naked leg - 4 weeks and a couple days after his surgery, you can hardly tell anything happened!



So a month later, the day after our 1st married anniversary, we became the proud parents of Ezio.



Isn't he just so sweet and cute??




Getting some lovin' from his new brother!


Havin' a blast and doing so much better at our house with Bruno, than he was at his foster home. We are so lucky!

On the chase, aka: the flight of the iggies!

Bruno wants to know why Ezio is so tired, notice Bruno is laying over the top of Ezio! Brotherly Love!

2 comments:

Krista said...

Okay, I see cute pictures of doggies, but no picture of your new car? Where's the car??

Krista said...

Where's a picture of your new car?